These slippers are as simple as it can be, the main thing here is Regia ABS LATEX, which is supposed to save the owner of those little fast feet from painful falls.
I’ve done these slippers before. I like it because it so simple and made using two needles, so no need to maneuver with five ones… Also, garter stitch is really good when speaking about sizing, it stretches or shrinks to the need. For the same reason these slipers can be worn longer by the little but fast growing feet!
Now, let’s speak abour Regia ABS Latex. The label suggest You apply 4-5 layers of latex, but I did only 2, as it already looked rather thick. BUT, it might be because I’m not used working with it, it’s my first time after all… Also, on the Internet, I found a recommendation, that it is better if latex covered areas are kept small. Yet, I wanted to get two things at a time – make a non-slippery sole and indicate the owner of the slippers. After drying it was meant to be tested in “most severe conditins” – one week at a kindergarten!
My observations after one week of wearing and one washing:
- Definetely does not slip. Confirmed by the personnel of the kindergarten and my own eyes 🙂
- After wearing, latex peeled off in a few places. But I’m not judging the product yet, ’cause a) I applied less layers than suggested, b) my writings are definteley not “small areas” and c) I applied latex on garter stitch, which may have caused peeling off during the stretch.
- The label says You can wash it in a washing machine, so that’s what I did, at 40 degrees Celsius, along with my other laundry. Did not tumble dry, according to the label. I’ll see what happens to latex in a tumble dryer when these slippers are done. Let’s hope it’s not soon. So after washing it came out bright and shining as new, and undamaged, except for those parts that where peeled off seemed to come off a bit more. But again, it may be due to the reasons I’ve mentioned before.
- And most importantly – it still does not slip!
I also made one pair for my friend’s girl, same yarn, same model, same latex, except I applied more layers. We’ll see how that comes out 🙂
Looks like that’s all!
If You have any questions feel free to leave a comment!
- Pattern: Simple Garter Stitch Slippers (free pattern)
- Yarn: Drops Fabel 823, one pair takes one skein, yarn held double. For the girl version I added some Regia 4-ply, also held double. And red Regia ABS Latex.
- Neddle: 2.5 mm
- Crochet hook: 2 mm